Sad Muppets FoW Tank Aces Campaign January – April 2013

Sad Muppets will be running “TANK ACES”, a Flames of War event which pits small tank companies against each other in an on-going campaign to be run over 4 months. Forces begin at 500 points and increase to 900 points, culminating in a final grand battle.
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
poi
Chief Muppet

Sad Muppets FoW Tank Aces Campaign January – April 2013

Postby poi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Rendorin wrote:Sad Muppets will be running “TANK ACES”, a Flames of War event which pits small tank companies against each other in an on-going campaign to be run over 4 months. Forces begin at 500 points and increase to 900 points, culminating in a final grand battle.

Complete beginners, experienced players and the curious are all welcome with the intent being for the vent to commence on Tue 15 Jan 13.

1) How does it work?
The Flames of War game designers explain it rather well http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=2590.

For the link-averse, it's the campaign will be an on-going campaign. Each player commands a small tank force and pits it against the opposition in a series of campaign missions. Each player force has a single Tank Ace, which could be considered their avatar on the field of battle. The Tank Ace will develop new skills over the course of the campaign; some skills benefit his own tank, whilst others benefit the whole tank company.

There are three rounds of games leading up to the final battle. Hence, a four month campaign. During each round/month, the players fight battles for campaign points which decide the outcome of the campaign stage, the battles they fight will count as progress for their team in the campaign though so fight hard.

2) What will you need?
If you're interested then you can make a force using the following limitations. All forces must be a Late-War Tank Company list or the Tank Destroyer Company from page 32 in Blood, Guts, & Glory (BG&G) list is allowed. You can adjust the composition of the force from round to round but you cannot change the list.

For those who do not have a book:
- If your force has a Company Command Team he becomes your Tank Ace
- If not choose a tank from a combat platoon
- You cannot take normal Flames of War Warrior Teams
- Tank Aces ignore German Tank Ace Skills
- You do not have to purchase compulsory platoons. Treat all balk boxes in the company diagram as grey boxes instead. However you must always choose at least one platoon from your HQ, Combat, or Weapon platoons.
- Once the campaign has begun, you are free to change the composition of your force; however you cannot change your Tank Company.
- If your company diagram has variants, you must choose one and stay with that through the campaign. For example, you cannot change from the 4th Armoured to the 7th Armoured division after starting.
- You may, however change what platoons you take in your company.

3) Outline of Event.
You must fight someone from the other team and record the area you fought over, these will be recorded and campaign points accumulated at the end of each month.

Round 1 (January 2013) requires a 500 point force. You may only choose from the Company HQ, Combat and Weapons Platoons of any Late-War Tank Company (no support options). You may buy whatever you wish but remember; only the Tank teams will be used in your games. All Tank Teams operate as Warrior teams, no platoons. Tank Teams only; i.e., if you buy armoured artillery all non-tank teams are left off the table. No Company or Platoon moral checks. Tank Ace becomes Company commander, if you had a company commander he is now a normal tank team.

Round 2 (February 2013) requires a 700 point force. The limitations are the same as before, except you can now spend up to 700 points. Each player may choose from Company HQ, Combat, Weapons and Support Platoons, one of your options must come from a non-support option.

Round 3 (March 2013) requires a 900 point force. The limitations are the same as before, except that you may now choose from Company HQ, Combat, Weapons and Support Platoons. No restrictions on where you purchase platoons from except one again must come from a non-support option. There is now requirement for normal list construction, teams now operate as platoons. Company command teams are normal tanks and only the Tank Ace is a Warrior and can offer rerolls.

Round 4 (April 2013 date TBC) is the final grand battle. Every player participates in one giant mission. Depending on player count, this will be 500, 700 or 900 points per player.

4) I'm a Soviet player. Can I play?
Yes, you're very welcome, comrade. We'll treat you as an incredibly lost and/or incredibly successful Soviet commander and assign you to the Allies (or Axis if numbers are too one sided).

5) When does it start?
If you wish to sign up please do so here. We'll kick off the campaign on January 15th, see you there.
Poi

poi
Chief Muppet

Re: Sad Muppets FoW Tank Aces Campaign January – April 2013

Postby poi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Two sign-up threads, Allies and Axis.
Poi

poi
Chief Muppet

Postby poi » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:00 pm

winston p smallhouse wrote:I'll be playing Hungarian Harckocsizo Szazad Tank Company. My first question about the games is do you still have to match at least 1 of your platoons and you company command with the same style of tank, as this would make it very hard to form 500 points. If not, then I'll run a Tiger 1E as command and a combat platoon of 3 Panzar IV H's. That totals 465 points. (as close as I can get.)
Dave OJ
Poi

poi
Chief Muppet

Postby poi » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Quick questions.
Do I need to take a company HQ? If I don't have to, does one of my platoon commanders become my Tank Ace?

Are TDs tank teams?

Round 3. Can I now take non-tank teams?
Poi

Rendorin
Ancient Muppet

Postby Rendorin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Your Force in Campaign Turn 1. You may spend up to 500 points on your company with Company HQ, Combat and Weapons Platoons. You can take any platoon listed as Company HQ, Combat or Weapons Platoons. However, you cannot take Support Platoons at this stage in the campaign.

In answer to the recent enquiries:

1. No you do not have to match your HQ with the Combat Platoons, your entire point selection could come from one combat team choice.

2. No you do not have to take a company HQ. If you did and also had a Combat Platoon choice you choose which tank will be your Tank Ace. The company command tanks become normal tanks in the game. Your Tank Ace becomes in effect the company commander.

3. TDs count as tank platoons, as long as they fit into one of the three selections outlined above.

Rendorin
Ancient Muppet

Postby Rendorin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi all,

To date I have had four sign-ups (including myself), 1 Allied and 3 Axis. As is the way of things having returned to work post the New Year events have now conspired against me and I will now be unable to attend the club over the next two weeks. Therefore I am proposing to postpone the start of the FoW Tank Aces Campaign until Tuesday 22 Jan 13.

This will also hopefully give an opportunity for a few more to sign-up or tweek the sides a little to ensure parity across the teams (I can lend Russians to anyone interested in getting to know about FoW).

I will aim to post a few more details over the coming weekend to add a little more flavour to the campaign. Look forward to gaming in 2013.

poi
Chief Muppet

Postby poi » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Warhammer Quest starts that night too, which I hope to play in.
Poi

Rendorin
Ancient Muppet

Postby Rendorin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:35 pm

In that case we could delay until Tuesday 29 January, if all are in agreement (especially you Poi as you are presently the only Allied player!). They will be 500 point games so should be able to get through a couple (if not more) within the evening. Those signed up please let me know if the change of date is ok.

Pauly J - Grimnor
Money Muppet

Postby Pauly J - Grimnor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:51 pm

29th is good and set in stone.

I'll join the Allies (US 7th Armored Division I think!) so we can do 2vs2.

Edit. now do i just take a British army with Firefly's now that the 17pdr is AT 15!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Edit again..... Yup 5th Guards Armoured Brigade, 1st (Armd) Coldstream Guards
Give me all of your MONEY MUPPET

Rendorin
Ancient Muppet

Postby Rendorin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:58 am

Hi all,
So Tank Aces campaign starts on Tuesday hopefully all have their forces at the ready. Can. I ask if everyone would be able to bring models for both their 500 and 700 point options, as depending on time it may mean we could progress the campaign along.

Other rationale for this is that I have been informed of a potential move in the not too distant future so would ensure we have a conclusion to the campaign!

So far it is the British (US are boycotting!) versus a German and Hungarian team, looking forward to getting a pounding!

Return to “Flames of War 2013 - Tank Aces”