Getting campaign back on track..

Latedave is running a 2k WFB campaign using the Blood in the Badlands supplement.
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
Rab
Ancient Muppet

Re: Getting campaign back on track..

Post by Rab » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:37 am

It sounds like a workable solution for some players, but I don't think everyone can realistically field 6,000 points of toys for single army, perhaps cap the largest single force to 4000 ( thats a potential 12K a side for a 6 player siege, assuming everyone turns up..and we have managed to complete that in a single evening...albeit with a very late finish! )

Personally, I like the idea of being able to choose from the various armies I have and field an allied force...WoC, Dark Elves and Deamons sounds like a nice mix! although Wood Elves, Dwarves and Brets could work :)

How had you envisaged the composition rules working for allies? There are a number of possibilities. same rules apply ( min 25% core, max 25% lords etc ) for each 'force', a true mix and match ( probably the most abusable? ), each unit moves up a slot ( core become special, special become rare, you can't take rare ), you can take a maximum of 25% of your army from the ally etc... or you can't have mixed forces in a single battle apart from the last game. i.e.. you essentially have multiple armies to move around ( allowing for people building new armies to fight in the outer rims , while the larger forces battle it out in the centre ). Would there be a limit on how many army books you can choose from?

Another option for allowing people to bring toys is to allow scrolls of binding from Monstrous Arcanam and Pacts from Storm of Magic?

Latedave
Ancient Muppet

Post by Latedave » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:53 pm

I guess my concern would be is the difficulty of getting all 6 players to play one game (having tried to organise Apoc etc) I think its fine for an evening but during the day seems to be tricky so Rab's point limit seems sensible. I like the allies idea owning as I do 3000 pts of Bret's and 8000 pts of Lizards, could be fun!

Otherwise seems a good solution to me

Latedave
Ancient Muppet

Post by Latedave » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:57 pm

As a secondary note, would people be up for a 'closedown' large game? Not sure what Dane's been up to but we could definitely do a Wood Elves and Lizards vs Dark Elves and Gobbo's for final domination of the Badlands (in the words of football parlance, last one to score wins, appreciate you have somewhat of an advantage!) Would be fun to throw our Characters in etc maybe with some bonuses for owning relics? As always I've got the flat table which we can use. Could do it SoM for a bit of variation?

Dave

Psiclops
Ancient Muppet

Post by Psiclops » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:08 pm

The 6000 a side siege game is a TOTAL of 6000/side. If multiple forces assault, then the control of the 6 hexes around the centre determines who has what % of that force. So if 1 player controlled 1 hex, another controlled 1 and shared control with a 3rd, who also controlled the other 3, then they would be able to deploy 1000/1500/3500 points of whatever force they has assigned to assault.

Basically, each hex has a per-side points limit (1000 for outer hexes, 2400 for the inner 6 hexes, with 1500/2000 alternating on the middle layer (2000 for the hexes with cities on). You'd most often want to move with at least that value of force into each hex - if more than 2 do, then temporary alliances between players are formed for that battle.

There is the possibility of doing it at a club night, by making the limit halved (3000) - but keeping the balance in that you need to have assigned double what you actually deploy, so it doesn't become a way of being able to defend it with reduced troop numbers. I'd envisage we may do this for these games which are non final round, but doing it at full points for the decider would be preffered.

The alliance within a force part is basically because don't want to exclude anyone who has been sensible enough to not buy more toys than they can possibly use in one go :)

I think I understand your concern r.e. potential 'abuse' - it could be one of 2 things (or both I guess) -
a) abuse of the 'fluff' in taking a non-realistic combination of forces.
b) finding something very unbalanced that wouldn't usually be available.

I had considered going through and detailing what could and couldn't be combined, but figured I'd leave it until we knew that we were actually doing it. What'd probably be easier is to ask people what they were planning and check ?
Last edited by Psiclops on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Psiclops
Ancient Muppet

Post by Psiclops » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:11 pm

P.S. All of this will be detailed, and your questions answered r.e. force comp, this was an OVERVIEW. I just wanted to check we had 6 players interested before I continued.

Psiclops
Ancient Muppet

Post by Psiclops » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:16 pm

... and 2 volunteers to play the campaign board as a game in it's own right (with battle results determined by die roll) in say a few weeks time to see if it works ?

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Psiclops wrote:The alliance within a force part is basically because don't want to exclude anyone who has been sensible enough to not buy more toys than they can possibly use in one go :)

Don't know what you mean :shifty:
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

Psiclops
Ancient Muppet

Post by Psiclops » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:00 pm

And as it's quick to answer, the rules for the force composition are fairly simple - each 'sub' force must obey the rules of composition as if it was an army in it's own right (as it will also act as such on the battlefield) This is simplest, and allows for seperate armies to form a larger force in order to try to take a higher point value target.

Rab
Ancient Muppet

Post by Rab » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:06 pm

meh...I was hoping for a horde of chaos :)

Psiclops
Ancient Muppet

Post by Psiclops » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:44 pm

And on Dave's note r.e. close off game, I'm up for that. Suggest 3-4000 points plus General for free (if he's still alive, mwahaha @ dead Wood Elf Dragonlord - Lieutenant for free if he's not) for each of the 4 armies. Other named characters/units can be taken, but pay their points out of the 3-4000 - this is what the final battle would have been I think (with all 3 free rather than 1). Depends when we can all be available. If Dane available too, then just divide the points ?

Return to “Blood in the Badlands campaign”