The Future of the SMBBL

Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
riddles
Ancient Muppet

The Future of the SMBBL

Post by riddles » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 am

Gents,

The Blood Bowl League 2012 finishes this evening. Thank you to all who participated. I had fun (regardless of if I get beat tonight!), I hope you did too.

I look forward to 2013 and think we can most likely get another league going. If we start relatively early (late Feb, early March time).

So this post is to gauge the appetite for a Blood Bowl league next year that runs longer, and also to understand what people want to do with their existing teams.

We have a number of options;
- all teams entering the league next year start as fresh teams, no carryover from this season.
- you may keep your team from this year. however, for all players that have 16+ SPP, roll a d6. on a 5 or a 6, that player has had enough of the brutal life of blood bowl and retires! you get half their current value back in gold from their testimonial to restock your team for the new season. e.g. a black orc blocker with block and guard retires, I get 60,000 back (not enough to replace him, but enough for a lineman, or enough to replace him after your first game). These teams will be entitled to journeymen players while they restock their rosters.
- you may keep your team from this year. However, new teams entering the league get 1,100,000 to spend and get one of the following skills packages;
-- Package A: 6 players may select 1 skill that they would get on a normal skill roll
-- Package B: 4 normal skill rolls, 1 double skill roll (i.e. a skill that a player could only take on a double)
-- Package C: 2 normal skill roll, 2 double skill rolls
-- Package D: 3 double skill rolls
This makes starting teams worth at most 1,240,000, and at worst 1,190,000. However, against some teams in the league (I'm looking at the Gargantz and the Lustria Lightweights), new teams would still be at a 300-350K disadvantage and inducements can only do so much. Some existing teams are worth less than this at the moment so restarting actually bumps some people.
It also means in the latter stages of the league, we will get 2 million value teams and spiralling expenses will come into play.

I leave it up to you guys. You are the ones that will play the games. I don't mind keeping track of everything again - although if some other keen individual wants to do it, I will happily step aside!

Riddles
x

Chilledenuff

Re: The Future of the SMBBL

Post by Chilledenuff » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 am

Fresh new teams please. :D
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

Psiclops
Ancient Muppet

Post by Psiclops » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Or another option :

All previous seasons teams can play in this second league, but only once any team has got to within a set TV (say 150 TV) of their current TV, or the play-offs start.
Coaches can elect to wait for this, but can start a 2nd team also if they want.

Once the play-offs start, any coaches with 2 teams are put into seperate sides of the draw, but once the play-offs reach the semi finals, if 2 teams of one coach are in then they must choose 1 to progress, the team that lost to the other gets to continue.

This allows a level playing field, but existing teams to be retained without decimation.

This method has the advantage of being repeatable across more than one season.

Psiclops
Ancient Muppet

Post by Psiclops » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:56 pm

You could even make the TV difference zero, so a team can only play once another team has reached their TV or higher, or the play-offs start.

Psiclops
Ancient Muppet

Post by Psiclops » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:03 pm

This will also have the effect of leveling out the league between those who will play alot of bloodbowl and those who will play less - as coaches with 2 teams spread their advancement between the 2.

humakt
Grownup Muppet

Post by humakt » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:37 pm

I personally will be entering a new team, but I like the idea of the new teams getting skill packages. But this is all dependant on number of old teams that are entered. If we only only have a couple there will be little point giving such big advancments to starter teams.

I also suggest we start the playoffs a little earlier. Give people a couple of weeks to get games in.

Psiclops
Ancient Muppet

Post by Psiclops » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:59 pm

With the method I suggested, you would be able to start a new team, and later in the season if you fancied it, bring out the Ladies again for a game, still having continuity. Best of both worlds. Anyone who wants to start a new team, can, anyone who wants to wait until the other teams catch up, can, and anyone who wants to do both, can. I don't see any losers in this scenario.

I'll be honest, I really don't like the idea of giving free skills to starter teams - it removes from the development of the team, the early stages of team development is a battle to get skills on players that are tough to score SPP's on - this makes it trivial. It also makes the team rosters 'standardised' - and the teams less characterful.

riddles
Ancient Muppet

Post by riddles » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:16 pm

If I'm league commissioner again (i.e. no-one else wants to do the job but people want a league!), and we have no consensus from the players, I'll pick what I feel will make my life easiest, which would be fresh teams all round.

I'm with James on the skill giving - it can create cookie cutter teams, it is there as an option only (and is the standard for BB tournament play). But I also would like teams to continue year on year. Whoever wins tonight, I'm sure they would like to defend their title in 2013. The only issue with your idea James is people running 2 teams. I can see people crying foul if, for example, I run a goblin team and go out solely to maim other teams. While the Gargantz may never play a league game, in the playoffs, all bets are off and if I've stopped new teams developing, the Gargantz have a good shot at the title again.

I'm currently drooling over Black Scorpion Minis human and dwarf teams, so I will likely enter something fresh. Both very very pretty.

porrter
Cinderella

Post by porrter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Given all the options so far I would go for this one[quote="
- you may keep your team from this year. however, for all players that have 16+ SPP, roll a d6. on a 5 or a 6, that player has had enough of the brutal life of blood bowl and retires! you get half their current value back in gold from their testimonial to restock your team for the new season. e.g. a black orc blocker with block and guard retires, I get 60,000 back (not enough to replace him, but enough for a lineman, or enough to replace him after your first game). These teams will be entitled to journeymen players while they restock their rosters.
[/quote]
P.s. I still haven't decided wether I start a new team or not
P.S dont eat the yellow snow

Psiclops
Ancient Muppet

Post by Psiclops » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:46 pm

What about this solution - all teams start with 1000 TV (or 1,000,000gp, same difference). Returning teams can use players from their roster in this if they wish. All players that aren't bought in this way remain on a reserves roster, but can later be bought again with gold equivalent to their TV.

This way, a level playing field is present at the start, and the only difference is that a higher price can be paid later on for players from last seasons roster. The slight advantage for previous teams in having this availability is then offset by them having to either play without the positional players they later want to buy back, OR losing additional TV/gold by retiring any of the filler players when they want to buy back more advanced players. Once the play-offs start, any players not bought back, retire permanently (to prevent exploiting the system to save players for the later games).

Return to “Muppet Blood Bowl League 2012-2013”