Reboot (again?!?!)

Want to see you show climb the ratings ladder and your cast gain A-List status? Produce a smash hit series with the new 7tv campaign!
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
Chilledenuff

Reboot (again?!?!)

Post by Chilledenuff » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:12 am

Firstly an apology to everyone who started the campaign and then looked on aghast as I failed miserably to organise/run it :cry: Other projects have gotten in the way a little bit. :? Also I think I felt a little jaded after week one when it was clear that power gaming appeared to be creeping in at the start.

Secondly I do want the campaign to run and I know people have paid money for rules and miniatures to play this excellent rules set. As such I would like to know if you all still want to play/and or if others wish to join us?

If people wish to take part, would you like me to continue as is, or reboot from the start?

If I was to reboot the campaign I would be adding a couple of house rules to try and tone down the power of some characters. Ideas I've had include adding the 'slow' special rule to any model with a defence value of 6 or more and to use the character generation rules from 7th voyage instead of the generic 7tv ones. This would mean lower stats generally as a start up value as it reduces the adds to statistics you can take...
Each Star and Co-Star has a number of points that can be used to purchase increases to the statistics of their profile. All statistics, apart from Hits, can be increased in this way up to a maximum of +3. Additional points may be purchased at the cost of +5 ratings each, and a Star or Co-Star may reduce one statistic by −1 (−2 for Move) to gain one additional point to spend
So a +1 costs 2 points of increase, +2 costs 3 points of increase and +3 costs 5 points. This really makes a difference to how you create a character, but I think it's a good change.

Let me know what you think, cheers
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

poi
Chief Muppet

Re: Reboot (again?!?!)

Post by poi » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Other than house rules, what kind of campaign are we looking at? Reboot of previous league style, narrative, tree, something else?
Poi

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Not sure to be honest. I know in the 1 and a half rounds we managed to complete that some people felt they were already behind others with the way casts upgraded so I'll happily run it in the way that people want. I was just using the league rules from the Summer Special but I'm open to other ideas...

How about if I do a narrative campaign where each cast is trying to achieve a specific quest/mission/vendetta thing? Once we have a list of protagonists we could set up various targets for each cast to achieve, add in some plot twists to have actions of each cast affecting others?

Or I could probably fudge a map based campaign together if need be? Make certain territories give boons to casts that control them and such like (special guest star in the next game if the cast holds point a on the map etc)

do people want an escalation campaign? Or just keep the casts at a flat 250 ratings?
Give me feedback and I'll sort it from there. I want to run a campaign that people want to play so the more people tell me what they want, the more likely it is that they'll see it.

porrter
Cinderella

Post by porrter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Personally I would say escalation but only use 250 a game
That way people can add/paint new models but no one is at a disadvantage if they choose not to
P.S dont eat the yellow snow

Rab
Ancient Muppet

Post by Rab » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:17 pm

I think some sort of overarching campaign narrative to provide some continuity between games would be ideal. I appreciate that this places more pressure on the campaign organiser to keep things moving along. The last one didn't really feel like it had any direction or goal other than amassing ratings points from disconnected games.

Some sort of campaign event driven scenarios would be good as well, i.e. a round where we have zombie invasions, alien invaders, or whatever the current studio bosses think is the trendy plot line, a network clampdown on blood and violence which removes your weapon choices or means you can only stun etc.

It needs to feel more alive than just popping down to play a game of 7tv now and again for it to encourage enthusiasm imho.

I also agree that some of the extreme casts need to be cut back a peg or two, turning up to a play a game where one person rolls dice for 30 mins until the other player loses all their models isn't much fun for anyone.

Rab.

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'd like the campaign to be more fluffy too Rab. I shall digest all of the above, as well as lean on people who've not commented for opinions too.

ianw
Ancient Muppet

Post by ianw » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:03 pm

I think the nature of 7TV cries out for some kind of narrative based campaign. The excitement for me would be representative of the tension between the creatives (being the players) and the inscrutable and apparently irrational whims of the studio execs (being the campaign organiser).

Ratings need a boost? Introduce a shocking new twist to the plot! Guess which high-profile character is getting killed off this week... and if any of the showrunners complain, mark it down to 'creative differences'.

As much as I'd like to continue my vendetta against Commander Monkey Wrench, I only played one game with my cast, so I'd be happy with a total reboot. I like the idea of introducing house rules to tone down the power of characters (it wouldn't affect my cast much).

poi
Chief Muppet

Post by poi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:13 pm

I'd love to get started again with 7TV. It appeals more than the other variants.
Poi

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:49 pm

I'll run 7tv poi. The others possibly later next year. :D