Vardaks vs the Surgeon

Want to see you show climb the ratings ladder and your cast gain A-List status? Produce a smash hit series with the new 7tv campaign!
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
Latedave
Ancient Muppet

Vardaks vs the Surgeon

Postby Latedave » Wed May 29, 2013 9:52 am

Les kindly organised a game last night, I'm sure a full battle report from him will follow but I have to say I found it extremely entertaining.

In essense, the 'surgeon' and his team of plucky volunteers charged towards my Vardaks, who, hamstrung by a lack of activation tokens slowly drifting backwards blasting wildly. Even the couple of people they did finally manage to hit and kill returned as reinforcements!

'Davro' realising the battle was slipping away lined up the disintegrator gun on the surgeon only to miss by miles. Meanwhile through a combination of my terrible saving throws and Martin's stalwart sixes and a capture bubble the other Vadraks were eliminated.

Sensing victory the surgeon legged it to his time machine leaving his able assistants to finish off Davros who had only survived his morale checks due to re-rolls from my luck and showed no interest in hurting anybody.

A wound later however and he went beserk. Forcing one of Martin's men to pistol himself in the face and blasting everyone with energy beams. Five companions down later and he trundled off (very slowly!) in pursuit of the surgeon earning me a narrow victory by 1VP!

If I play the campaign lessons learnt...

High def coupled with invunerable is just brutal
Lack of leader really hurts when you can only activate two of your kick ass models
It's probably very easy to make a 'broken' cast
Les dice are as usual, cursed for me except when it comes to morale rolls

Really good fun but I did feel for Martin when only guy I had left managed to wipe out all his forces!

Chilledenuff

Re: Vardaks vs the Surgeon

Postby Chilledenuff » Wed May 29, 2013 10:48 am

Davros? Who is this Davros? Sounds like a potential copyright issue! Planet Les Productions would like it made known that any resemblance to Davros and the Daleks is purely coincidental!. you were using Vardos and his force of Vardeks :shifty: Martin was using The Surgeon, Emily Alake and a cast of Astronauts. Dr Melody Lake was a guest star.

... and yes a customary awful batrep will follow :D

Glad you enjoyed it. I think Martin did, even though your cast was hideous to face. Certainly it was a lot of fun to watch, some very interesting things happening. In Hindsight I wonder if Martin regrets not swapping your gadget? When Davros used that repair kit to patch himself up it certainly changed the complexion of the uber-melee
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

Chilledenuff

Re: Vardaks vs the Surgeon

Postby Chilledenuff » Wed May 29, 2013 1:33 pm

Last night an episode of the popular PLP Tv programme Surgeon Vous was recreated at the Muppets. The mission played was Vendetta from the summer special. The casts were as follows:

The Surgeon (Unearthly Traveller)
MDHSAIM
Alien, Luck(2), Pyschic, Boffin, Infiltrator, Gadgets, Honour Bound, Invumnerable(1), Alien Physiology [45 Ratings]
Brawl 4+

Emily Alake (Plucky Assistant)
MDHSAIM

Concealment, Luck(1), Plucky, Leader(1), Dodge, Screamer
Brawl 5+, Katana (2 Handed Weapon) 5+ [25 ratings]

Dr Melody Lake (Special Guest Star (Summer Special)) [60 Ratings}

Astronaut Commander with Laser Pistol [29 Ratings]
3 x Astronauts + Laser Pistol [63 Ratings]
Astronaut + Laser Rifle [22 Ratings]

[243 Ratings]

They faced off against those most famous of villains, The Vardeks led by their creator Vardos:

Vardos (Otherworldly Invader)
MDHSAIM

Alien, Infiltrator, Luck (2), Mechanoid, Energy Blast, Invulnerable(2), Love to Hate, Unearthly Constitution
Brawl 4+
Disintegrator Gun 5+ [76 Ratings]

3 x Vardaks (Inhuman Servitor)
MDHSAIM

Alien, Concealment, Forcefield 5+, Mechanoid, A Good Offence, Eagle Eyes, Love to Hate
Brawl 4+
Alien Rifle 4+ [58 Ratings each]

[250 Ratings]

A disparity of 7 ratings but for a demo game it was fine. We randomised deployment areas as per the table in the BRB, both sides getting a 12" deployment zone facing each other. Dave took control of Vardos and his forces, Martin took the Surgeon and his brave band of hangers on. It was decided that the vendetta would be between Vardos and The Surgeon. Both sides deployed as follows:
The band oh Humans clumped together on the dune and Vardos' forces spread themselves thinly across the cratered area, making use of the cover to conceal themselves from the heavily armed opponents. The Surgeon then played his 'Travel Montage' event card and the humans moved towards their opponents

The game started with the forces of evil getting the first turn and 2 of the Vardeks opened fire. An astronaut was duly 'ELIMINATE!ed.' Before the heroic cast could respond Vardos used his own event card, 'Self Destruct' upon the heroes, it scattered slightly thus missing all of the astronauts, however both The Surgeon and Dr Melody Lake took a wound. Picking themselves up the heroes moved towards the Vardeks. Unable to see the concealed Vardeks the pistol armed Astronauts and Melody opened fire on Vardos but a combination of terrible accuracy, Invulnerable(2) and Unearthly constitution saved the crazed inventor from harm.

The following turn suprised both the Martin and myself as 2 of the Vardeks backed off, firing ineffectually at the oncoming astronauts. Meanwhile the Surgeons forces closed in on Vardos, thier combined fire still bouncing off of the evil alien.

Finally seizing the initiative the heroic cast started their offensive, Dr Melody Lake let loose a capture bubble which caught the Vardek hiding amongst the crystal trees. The luckless alien killing machine was instantly teleported far from the battle line. She then advanced towards Vardos, photonic spanner raised menacingly, unfortunately for her the crater proved to be too dangerous to charge through The rest of the heroic cast followed behind laser pistols bouncing off of Vardos and one of the Vardeks (who had left the cover of the crater and thus became a viable target). In response Vardos backed up a little and fired his dintegrator gun at The Surgeon. After using luck to make said shot miss (narrow escape!) the Surgeon breathed a sigh of relief

This was to be short lived, a moment later Vardos changed weaponry and an energy blast flew through the air taking out Dr Melody Lake! At this point a Vardek finally achieved something with what had been largely ineffective fire throughout and shot the astronaut commander. The response by the Surgeon and his stalwart companions was swift. They started by using another event card 'Reinforcements' Another Astronaut commander and rifle armed astronaut appeared behind the Vardek lines! [2 Victory points to the Vardek cast as that is the drawback of using said event card]

The astronauts then combined their fire power and the sheer weight of shots was enough to turn a Vardek into nothing more than a heap of molten slag. Following this The Surgeon moved towards Vardos with a cunning gleam in his eye; seconds later he activated the Sonic Stunner he was carrying stunning the evil genius. Unfortunately in the end phase Vardos revcoverd and also passed his Shaken test (thanks to a luck point) The Vadek remained captured

Vardos backed off, once more shooting at The Surgeon with the disintegrator gun ineffectually. The foolhardy ChronoLord followed him, unable to get close enough to hit his nemesis. Emily also charged across, katana held high, the loose rocks on the crater floor proving to be real hindrance as she too was stopped short. Meanwhile the astronauts again combined thier firepower to reduce the only other active Vardek into a pile of wreckage. The end phase came and went, Vardos again using luck to stay in the game. The other Vardek finally released itself from the remnants of the capture bubble (note to self: if captured in a bubble don't try to escape with a sink plunger)

Sensing a victory the astronauts and Emily turned towards Vadros. A blistering lightshow lit up the sky for miles as every laser based weapon was fired at Vardos. When the smoke cleared the alien leader was reduced to his last wound. Feeling suitably miffed Vardos used his miniature toolkit to repair himself (thus recovering a wound and shot Emily with an energy blast, causing a wound to the brave lady. The Surgeon had backed away, out of Vardos' line of sight and range. Out of luck points it was a nervy shaken check for Vardos but he passed and the game continued apace.

Following the damage he had taken the following turn it seemed Vardos was finally angry, he shot Emily with an energy blast and then charged (trundled) into the astronaut leader killing them both. In return 2 of the astronauts aimed and fired their laser pistols at him, to no effect. The end phase came, so did another passed shaken test

At this point, leaderless and too far away from the Surgeon to hear his advice the red mist descended on the astronauts. Ranged attacks didn't seem to work so they started to charge the alien using their pistols

This was only ever going to end in tears and over the next 3 turns they were picked off piecemeal, the only thing that happened of note was Vardos failing his shaken test and the remaining Vardak was removed from the field of play. The other fun bit was the inevitable '1' to hit with a pistol resulting in an astronaut shooting himself in the face.
As the dust settled the Surgeon prepared to enter his blue travelling box and Vardos was left to survey the battlefield, quietly fuming the ineffectiveness of the Vardaks

Totting up VPs, Vadros won by 1 point. Close and brutal. Some strange moments. The most bizarre was the Vardaks backing off and leaving Vardos to face the music, however watching the Surgeon come to within a hairs breadth of being disintegrated twice was laso amusing. The vendetta will continue

On a side note I'm pretty happy with the not-dalek, not-davros and not-doctor builds though :)
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

Return to “7TV Summer 2013 season”