The Chilledenuff Garden Plot (terrain shinyness)

Somewhere for you to show off your talents.
(Cue music from ancient TV show)
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
Chilledenuff

The Chilledenuff Garden Plot (terrain shinyness)

Post by Chilledenuff » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:01 am

So, I have Three 28mm terrain projects on the go at the moment:

1. inside of a Spacecraft for far future shenanigans (slight hiatus, waiting for Ainsty to email me pictures and layout possibilities) Useful for all sorts of games, although mine will mostly be 7tv and its spinoffs, although I am looking (but not actively) for a good far future skirmishy game
2. The Docks; a board to represent a waterside area which could be used to represent any period from 1930 to the late 70s. Good for 7tv and Bolt Action. Already have a warehouse (thanks Paul!) and a crane and security gate to build. OJ is kindly supplying me with some 2' square 3mm plywood tiles which will become the cobbled streets/water
3. The most advanced of the three projects (just because it is easiest) which is my pseudo grassland 6x4' board. Again useful for 7tv but also fantasy and ecw Cunning use of 3 2x4' mdf boards from homebase, GW static grass matting glued to them:

They are covered with felt on the back to protect my kitchen table (and thus save me from an earbashing from the wife).
I've also purchased a few prepainted bits to go on this. Some resin walls and fences, a couple of trees and the gorgeous EM4 walled farm so very nice, here's the pickie again):

It makes a nice centrepiece. The next few bits to make are some hills and roads. Will probably use vinyl floor tiles to make the roads. Cheap ones from b&q or some other type place. I was getting annoyed because I could only find adhesive backed ones, but as Kelso so very kindly pointed out I can use them adhesive side up as I will be gluing stuff onto them :doh: Hills are easy. I'm going to use polystyrene (because I have some spare) Glue polystyrene to hardboard base, shape with a hot wire cutter and glue some GW static grass matting to the top (so it matches the boards 8-) ) Just need to get some hardboard (homebase offcuts bin by the cutting shop is my freind)and pop into hobbycraft to get the GW gaming mat.

I've also started some lazy trees:

These start work as lashing wire (ie the stuff we use to lash aerial brackets to chimneys). 6" lengths are cut:

and then bent into an armature:

Later they'll be superglued to a 50m washer then dunked into some pva, the base will be sanded and then a spray of brown paint, light drybrush with bone colour. 5 minutes of hot glue gun and clump foilage and voila a tree shall appear. Obviously, more pictures to follow :D
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

Spurious
Ancient Muppet

Re: The Chilledenuff Garden Plot (terrain shinyness)

Post by Spurious » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Thinking of the adhesive strength of the stuff the vinyl tiles are on, it might be better to use that side to be glued to felt, depending on how you're doing the surface. Tree armature is looking good too (I am totally considering stealing that method now :p), you could also wrap it in masking tape or something to make sure it doesn't unravel, plus provides a better surface to take paint better than the metal so less of a chipping problem in the long run.

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:40 pm

I shall discuss vinyl tiles with you again on Tuesday (might ask the other terrain guru Paul as well)

With regard to the armaatures, the pva was going to be my medium for paint adhesion. I was going to dunk them branches first into a big pot of the stuff and then withdraw and let to dry. That should also give a reasonably thick coat to hide the spiral effect of the wire. Masking tape may work but could be fiddly to get around the branches

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:55 pm

Some Pictures of the Chilledenuff, a long range Scout class vessel:

An overview

The Albion Rocket Consortium check out the Bridge

Meanwhile Tweedy and May arrive in the Hold

Another member of the A.R.C check out the engineering section

and finally another ARC checks the armoury

all scenery bits are Ainsty with the exception of the Blue box which is Hasslefree. Really need to give her a lick of paint.

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:17 am

Just ordered some bits from Copplestone casting to finish off the engine room and bridge. Also need to address the symmetry issue to the rear.

poi
Chief Muppet

Post by poi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:00 am

I wouldn't worry too much about symmetry. The equivalent area on the other side of the ship might just be engioneering space rather than usable crew space.
Poi

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:42 am

Under coated....

I'm hoping to have her all painted by the beginning of December along with some future freedom fighters and federated types, I've asked poi for a b7tv game :)

You may have noticed a lack of painting from me recently, I've been consolidating my collection and haven't really had time to paint many toys. Expect more updates in the near future though as the process is pretty much done :)

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:56 am

So, here we have the Chilledenuff, ready for use. Thankfully I've some Federation types to help explain various bits of interest...

Here is the network of person sized corridors within the Scout class ship:

On the Bridge, Travis and Servalan check out the Navigation station whilst Mutoids makes sure the main pilots console and Operations consoles are secure

A closer shot of Travis, Servalan and the navigation console:

Meanwhile a Security Droid is programmed to watch over the cargo area by a Security Guard:

In the engineering section more security guards check the consoles, wishing they'd brought a handy technician with them:

Up in the main computer processing room a bemused security guard looks at all the flashing lights and wishes he'd got a handy technical support number:

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:17 pm

I haven't uploaded much recently but I have been busy making terrain for my game boards at home.
First I made a bucket load of trees for forests or they can be placed separately. All are Woodland Scenics armatures glued to a 30mm steel washer, these had the bases sanded' were sprayed brown and given either a chestnut, brown or green ink wash. Then clump foliage was liberally applied. . The forest bases are just sandpaper cut to shape, painted brown and then drybrushed with good old fashioned bleached bone. Finally I gave them a spraying of pva/water mix to seal them:

Here they are lined up next to my 'old' forest (the one on the left at the front) as a comparison:

Feeling chuffed with how these came out I then made some hedges (to be fair I've finished half of them). I stuck cut up washing up sponges onto wooden tongue depressors, with the odd bit of matchstick fencing for detailing. These were sprayed brown and then drybrushed with BB (love that colour) before copious amounts of clump foliage was stuck on with silicone:

All this leads to my rural board starting to look a little bit spangly...

Rab
Ancient Muppet

Post by Rab » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:33 pm

looking great Les!

Return to “The Gallery”