Kelson's Creations

Somewhere for you to show off your talents.
(Cue music from ancient TV show)
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
Spurious
Ancient Muppet

Kelson's Creations

Post by Spurious » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:44 pm

A thread for my terrible camerawork and half finished projects?
Damn right it is!

New-ish urban stuff and IFVs, some modifications made to the base vehicle.

The lead vehicle whilst still under construction.

WIP building, removable roof and all. It's actually nearly finished now along with a companion in the same style.

More building. Base was a cheap folding plastic storage crate. Roof should be covered in solar panels when done.

Hedge. Sheep.

Tiny ammunition/loot counters.

I call him stompy.

Chilledenuff

Re: Kelson's Creations

Post by Chilledenuff » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:49 pm

:clap: nice stuff
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

Spurious
Ancient Muppet

Post by Spurious » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Buildings and things and road

Completed road! Well, more on the way still because you can't ever have enough road... oooh I should do some pathways too to sneak between buildings and forests with winding sections and...

Dave R
Ancient Muppet

Post by Dave R » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Awesome stuff. Can't wait to see more. Always good to see inspirational scenery and set ups.

Spurious
Ancient Muppet

Post by Spurious » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 pm

Almost done putting together one of those 4ground houses kits that Paul got for the club. Complex kit, well, not that complex just the instructions sucked, which I realized when I found I had put 2 major walls on the wrong way round (as they labeling was either wrong or not present in many places). Thankfully I am no noob when it comes to putting together kits so realized this before starting trying to modify bits to fit, then found the rest of the instructions even worse so largely just went ahead just using good old deduction to plug bits in where they should go.

I've gone to the effort of adding a bit of paint and inks here and there to get some more wear on it since it looks like it's been hit by mortar and gun fire, it looked a bit clean by default, also to cover up bare wood in places like the inside of the roof.

I like this level best, the broken down walls are pretty nice yet not obstructive. The doors 'should' have a Z shaped bar on them, but I felt it protruded too much (and would be a git to file/cut down) and didn't really add anything so didn't use them. There's also a door that's come off the hinges so is being used to patch the hole in the floor, should be able to fit models in better that way. Something I also checked with the doors that were set open too, making sure a typical 25mm base could fit by them reasonably.

Ground level, the most intact (good for structural stuffs. The stair case I rather enjoyed putting together as it's a great bit of design, but also was watching something about Genesis of the Daleks whilst doing so, and Daleks + stairs, well, I need say no more. Didn't have a problem with warping, though a bit of squidging before the glue fully dried was needed to make sure the floors aligned properly, and a whole lot of clothes pegs to make sure walls (usually made of 2 separate bits) squished together properly. The sides I've given a rough coat of paint that kinda matches colour-wise, but since this is a mid-terrace thing I am not too worried (plus it looked better than bare wood). I am not even sure if I should base it. Perhaps just felt the bottom to stop it slipping? Will have to see how the others come along.

All in all it was not too fiddly, largely just requiring patience and making sure your bits fit before applying glue (plus being careful to not let excess glue blob up interlocking surfaces). The multi-level design that disassembles works way better this way than anything I could do with foamboard and plasticard.

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:33 pm

That's great. How long did it take?

Spurious
Ancient Muppet

Post by Spurious » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:01 am

Been working on it on and off since Wednesday. I guess in terms of hours it's about 5 or 6 but a lot of that is simply waiting for glue to dry, finding where bits had wandered off to and fiddling around making sure everything fits, and my general slowness in most things.

As far as that compares to the other stuff I've been working on, it's significantly more than shantytown stuff but about equal to the more complex buildings, though they include even more painting time in addition to gluing. It's been something to do whilst watching things since apart from the naff instructions, it doesn't take too much thought. I suspect other kits in the same style would take an hour or two less due being less ruined/fewer parts.

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:00 am

Good to know, thanks. I'm planning on some midfield bits for 7tv so this is great

Spurious
Ancient Muppet

Post by Spurious » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Another house. Fewer problems with this one, probably because there's so much less of it. Might need some blutack though to hold the layers together as there's only half as many connecting points as the other house, so it can be a bit wobbly. Though some of that would be mitigated by it being up against another house. Or just the roof could be glued on since the only thing that covers fully is the top of the stair case.

And some pipes that were tarted up a bit.

poi
Chief Muppet

Post by poi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:24 am

Old Crow pipes?
Poi

Return to “The Gallery”