The Cave of Wonders - Havent used that gag yet :)

Somewhere for you to show off your talents.
(Cue music from ancient TV show)
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
daniel_cave00
The muppet with many names

Re: The Cave of Wonders - Havent used that gag yet :)

Post by daniel_cave00 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:59 am

Ok so after a promising start I have really dropped a level in the second banner, half because of lack of time and half because of lack of ability to realise my vision (which is a huge shame).

So I have reduced my expectations on this one and I am concentrating more on the trailing end of the banner. So the decision is fire of blood?

Annoyingly the yellow side looks like blood and the Blue looks like crappy fire. Any help gents? I need to pick a theme really and try hard to salvage it.

Due to shitty work making me work a 13 hour day yesterday I am nowhere near finishing this one or even getting to the third one so i am not in a massive rush. I will be playing with a completely unpainted model and more than half of my army will be unbased. I hang my head in shame!

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Chilledenuff

Post by Chilledenuff » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:47 am

I handy guide on painting fire borrowed from this thread on the Lead Adventure Forum:

post on the LAF wrote:I finished painting the casts of the burning tyres and took many pictures in the progress.

Here comes a step-by-step paintingguideThe first step was priming. I used email-colors from Humbrol and Revell - white for the flames and black for the tyres and the base.
Hint: Next time I will prime the whole model with a white spraypaint. Spraypainting is much faster than brushwork and it is much easyer to paint black upon white than the other way round.

I started painting with the fire. If not other stated I use acrylic colors. The first color was a light yellow, (50:50 yellow/white). This color goes to the parts where the fire has its greatest heat - at the bottom and in the dents.

The next color was a bright yellow. This was painted all over the fire, only to let some areas of the light yellow remain in the dents.

The next color was an orange. This was painted on the upper and raised areas of the fire. The yellow remains visible on the lower parts and in the dents.

The next color was a bright red. This again was painted on the upper and raised areas of the fire. Orange should become the dominant color, so I tryed not to overdo with the red.

The darkest color of the fire was a very dark red (50/50 dark red/black). This was carefully painted on the upper peaks of the fire.

The last step on the fire was a light yellow again. I realised that this color wasn't recognisable. I only painted this color in the dents and at the bottom of the fire. This gave a good impression of heat and I was satisfied with the overall look of the fire.

Then I proceeded with the tyres and the base:
I repainted all tyres with different tones of dark and middle grey.
The bases where painted in a dark brown.

In a last step I used my dry pigments (Weatheringpowder from NOCH) with pigment fixer from MIG to fill the dents in the tyre treats with a dustcolor. After mixing the pigments with the fixer I applied a wash to the tyres. After drying I removed the pigments with a brush and a bit of the fixer.

Pictures of the finished pieces:

The smoke in the next pictures is done with some kind of white cotton woll for filters (floss). This had been spraypainted in a dark grey with a black color from a spraycan. It is simply placed behind or on top of the burning tyres. The future warriors in the next pictures are 28mm from em4 (former Grenadier) by Marc Copplestone and show the size of the barricades.

Many more pictures can be found on my homepage: http://www.elladan.de/053%20Burning%20tyres%20and%20oildrums/053.htm

And finally two comparison shots of the inspiration and the result. I am very pleased.

The set with the 4 pieces (8 parts) of burning tyres can be bought for 11,90 EUR via my little online shop on [size=14pt]http://www.stronghold-terrain.de/shop/index.php

Ciao

Elmar

http://www.elladan.de

I hope that helps
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Well thats Kreoss painted. Pictures are incoming but he doesnt look too bad. I have to paint my 2 Paladins still and fix the annoying mistakes that I am bound to have made with him but thats 1 Warmachine model I have to play with now :)

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Taken with backup camera of Beckys, it looks better in person

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:07 pm

1st Paladin done. Man I wish I could post halfway decent photos as he is probably the best painted model I have produced (shading and highlighting - never before combined in a single model for me)

Looks epic. Now I have to do the second one :(

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Return to “The Gallery”