Fluff & Pics - The Wolves Of Astryd (Girl Space Marines)

Somewhere for you to show off your talents.
(Cue music from ancient TV show)
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
Astryd
Teen Muppet

Fluff & Pics - The Wolves Of Astryd (Girl Space Marines)

Postby Astryd » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi everyone :mrgreen:

So I've been away from the muppets for a veeeery long time... and having recently started showing my face on a semi regular basis, I thought I'd better post some stuff on the army I'm playing with! Some of you will be familiar with this already, but for those who aren't... I hope it makes for an interesting read/viewing! ( ^ - ^)

please bear in mind it's a work in progress :mrgreen:

Sarah

Origins of 'The Wolves Of Astryd'

(formally 'The Daughters of Astrae')

It has long been known that there were two legions who names have forever been erased from Imperial records. One of these was The Wolves of Astryd, a legion who came to be similar in appearance to that of the space wolves, due to the manner in which their Primarch was found.

The Primarch for this legion was female, and as such, the recruits for the legion were also. In creating the Primarchs, the Emperor had great success in creating males, but for some reason keying the geneseed to work with a female genetic code was much more difficult. As such, many attempts at creating female Primarchs had failed. All but one. But then the dark Gods of Chaos scattered the Primarchs throughout the galaxy.

However, the stocks of geneseed still remained, and so the Emperor set about creating the space marine legions, one based on the geneseed from each Primarch. Thus as one Primarch was female, one space marine legion amongst many was composed of women rather than men and was named The Daughters of Astrae, after the name that the Emperor had chosen for their Primarch. The Emperor then left Terra and set out to conquer the galaxy with his legions and search for his lost children.

Despite being of equal ability and ferocity as their counterparts, The Daughters of Astrae were not afforded the same level of respect as the other legions gave to each other, and so felt a desire to continuously prove themselves in battle, ever at the forefront. It was during such an occasion, when the legion had rushed to respond to a distress call from a distant world on the galactic rim, that they discovered their lost Primarch.

Astrae's pod had come to rest on the distant world of Skandahar, during a night of terrible storms and blizzards the pod had crashed down into the mountain range north of the fortress of a local feudal lord. The pod unsealed and the infant child crawled her way out into the icy darkness, whereupon she encountered a pack of white wolves who, sensing her need to be protected took her in as one of their own.

One winter, a few years later, the fortress of the feudal lord was running lower on supplies than usual due to a particularly unproductive harvest that year, forcing hunting teams to go further afield for more prey to address the balance. It was on one such hunt, that the Lord himself and his hunting party discovered and cornered a young girl covered in the hide of a wolf, defended ferociously by two of the largest white wolves he'd ever seen. After longing for a child for many years whilst unable to conceive one himself, the lord considered it a gift from the heavens and gently encouraged the young girl and her wolves to accompany him back to the fortress. The girl was adopted and given the name Astryd, meaning 'Divine strength' and raised in the local cultures and traditions, mastering the local tongue within a matter of weeks. Both the Men and Women of the population were skilled warriors, and as the daughter of a fuedal lord, Astryd was trained in the best combat arts and military strategy that the lord's advisors and masters could offer, excelling at them all. At the age of 17 both her skills in battle and military knowledge were unmatched and she was given command of the nation's combined armies. It was during a particularly vicious campaign, in which Astryd was successfully fending off rival nations' invasion attempts that suddenly enormous ships appeared in the skies above her world. Having seen nothing like it before, armies from all sides cowered in fear... but not Astryd. She stood fast, tall in her blood stained armour, piles of enemy corpses at her feet and the wind blowing her long red hair in streams behind her as her wolves paced in front and growled at the gigantic strangers that approached from the strange vessels.

The Daughters of Astrae welcomed Astryd as their new leader. As such, they adorned wolf hides and changed their name to the Wolves of Astryd in her honour, thinking it indeed a fortuitous omen that their Primarch's given name was so similar to that chosen by the Emperor himself. Skandahar became their new homeworld and a fortress convent was established.

With their Primarch at the fore, the Wolves of Astryd continued their fight for the Emperor with renewed faith and vigour, swiftly destroying chaotic incursions wherever they arose. But although some of the other legions rejoiced to see their sisters battling valiantly by their side, others harboured seeds of jealousy and hatred that such an abomination could be created as their equals, and believed women had no right wielding such might alone...

And such it came to pass that after the Horus Heresy, the Emperor's body shattered and entombed within the Golden throne, Roboute Guilliman of the Ultramarines demanded the separation of the legions into smaller chapters. Many resisted, but to show his resolve and power, Guilliman took the opportunity to rid himself of a thorn in his side once for all, and used the full might of his legion to engage the remnants of the Wolves of Astryd in battle. The Wolves of Astryd, their numbers severely depleted during the heresy, were no match for Guilliman as a titanic battle ensued on Skandahar. Astryd herself was slain in battle by Guilliman, but not before ordering the evacuation of the remaining members of the legion, along with some of the surviving population. The last of the Wolves of Astryd fled their homeworld and fortress, by some blessed luck their shields holding under the fire of the Ultramarine battle barges stationed in orbit. The Wolves of Astryd fleet fled the system and headed out, beyond the galactic rim.

Guilliman was about to order pursuit, but an urgent message was received that required the use of his forces elsewhere to prevent the spread of corruption on a chaos-infected world, and so he was forced to settle for complete obliteration of the former Wolves of Astryd homeworld. Many times over the next few years, his forces returned and tried to follow a pursuit path or locate some clue to their whereabouts, but no trace could be found. It was assumed that they perished out in the darkness beyond the rim. Guilliman ordered that all records of the legion be destroyed, no trace was to remain, lest someone try to recreate this abomination of a female legion. That, and perhaps lest the future know of his cruelty and betrayal.

Most of the other legions, witnessing the extent of Guilliman's resolve feared that with their depleted forces, they too could become a target, and so agreed to separate their legions as per his wishes. Many silently wept for their lost sisters, but never dared show it in case they feel Guilliman's wrath.

The Wolves of Astryd were quietly forgotten. But the time has come for them to return....

Spending countless years hiding out beyond the rim, they were nevertheless resourceful and managed to locate a series of habitable worlds beyond the eyes of the Imperium. They settled on these worlds and began anew, keeping an ever watchful eye in the direction of the Imperium... but their escape had been complete. None were able to follow. As such, the Wolves of Astryd were able to regain some of their strength and capability, developing uninterrupted for so many years... yet never forgetting their betrayal at the hands of Guilliman, they harbour a deep resentment. Now that they are strong once more, it is time to reclaim their rightful place in the Imperium amongst their brothers and deal a vengeful blow to the Chapter that betrayed them. The shadow of the Great White Wolf once again falls across the galaxy and those who provoke her righteous fury shall be torn asunder…

Faster than the speed of blasphemy... - DofW SOB :D

daniel_cave00
The muppet with many names

Re: Fluff & Pics - The Wolves Of Astryd (Girl Space Marines)

Postby daniel_cave00 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:21 pm

Very nice they are too. It is nice to see we have another crazy die hard fluff fan (Les I am looking at you being the other one). Its modelling and painting like this which makes me curse the lack of enthusiasm and skill I have with that side of the hobby.

Still it will be interesting to see the force grow, I suppose from a personal point of view it will be nice when you wont have to have Dave shouting things like "3+" and "2 to glance". Sadly you will find that your opponent will still do this anyway so there is really no escaping people "helping" you out.

I thought you had come down a long time ago, I believe January 08 or 07 you were down playing Dave with some Grey Knights? He had his Necrons if memory serves. Though of course I could be just making stuff up or confusing you with someone else.

In the new year, if you are still around, I will give you a game with my Marines if you like? I believe you are interested in playing at ASMOH and I will have to get my head around the rules again, seeing as I will be the rules monkey for the day.

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Astryd
Teen Muppet

Postby Astryd » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:16 pm

Firstly...you have an excellent memory sir :shock:

Yes, I did come down a few years back and had a Grey Knight 40K army, and a Wood Elf fantasy army... sadly I no longer have either :cry:

Thanks for the compliments on the army :D

Yeah I'm hoping that the day will come where I can have the same kind of encyclopedic knowledge I've witnessed from some of the muppets regarding 40K rules... but for now I'm just going to have to beg for patience as I muddle through :mrgreen:

I'd be more than happy to play you down the club at some point!

Rules monkey is indeed a noble calling... it should come with a small throne and possibly some kind of electrified 'correction sceptre' for when people argue with you...
Last edited by Astryd on Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

infernal caretaker
Other Muppet

Postby infernal caretaker » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:13 pm

I so want a correction sceptre... sounds ace!

Dan, i'm a complete sucker for fluff! All my armies have it! Not by accident either!

Might have to start writing some epic saga for my upcoming Space Wolves...

The Sage of Daver Ironfist...

Yeah...

:ugeek:
~Deus Ex Machina~
~For Ferrus Mannus, and the Omnissiah!~
Rule #14:
~Thou Shalt Not Install A Fridge In Thy Rhino To 'Cool Down' Thy Plasma Guns...~

daniel_cave00

Postby daniel_cave00 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:23 pm

Ok fair enough Les isnt the only fluff nut already kicking about. I did think of you afterwards Dave, you and your loony Tech Guard.

@Sarah - Kind of cheated there. It was my first evening at the club and I committed most of it to memory. Scarily I can still recall most of that evening, almost including every move of the game of 40K I had. However for some reason I cant remember where I put my keys tonight...

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Chilledenuff

Postby Chilledenuff » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:53 am

Back on topic, (sheesh Dan, it's not all about you! ;)) Army is looking good, and always nice to see fluff! I have a question though, are you planning to expand the beautifully painted army technique to a fantasy army?
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

Astryd
Teen Muppet

Postby Astryd » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks for the compliments :D

As for a fantasy army... hmmmm... probably not... I never really enjoyed playing it as much, and there's not really anything that appeals to me in terms of armies etc. I have previously from the distant past up until a few years ago had Dwarf, Skaven and Wood Elf armies but... never really enjoyed the games I played with them.

What I do intend to do is start a Battle Sisters army when they finally redo the models in plastic... :mrgreen: just hope they look as good as the new dark eldar do!

daniel_cave00

Postby daniel_cave00 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Thing with Fantasy is that it has changed a lot in the last few months, since they released the latest Edition. You never know you might actually enjoy it now that it is more infantry based with a watering down of cavalry.

Still I suppose its probably better to stick to one game at a time. They had better do new Sisters of Battle and Grey Knight armies a lot of people will be upset if they never do.

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

caesar2_slattery
Grownup Muppet

Postby caesar2_slattery » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:50 pm

Excellent idea and concept, and Valkyries fit the Norse Space Wolves theme perfectly (the "valkyrja" Norse Valkyrie choosers of the slain, not the Imperial Guard transport !)
Your winged Assault Marines make perfect Valkyries too, and your excellent paintwork puts most of us in the shade (especially mine).
:angelic-blueglow: :angelic-cyan: :angelic-sunshine:

Thank you,
Caesar

Brazen Claws
Baby Muppet

Postby Brazen Claws » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Excellent looking army :) always thought there was distinct lack of femal models about unless your collecting sisters of battle. As well as my GK I am also "slowly" working on an IG army and been scouring ebay for female guardspeople. Though I did manage to nab the female commissar from the US gameday :). But once again I'll say thats a stonking looking army and back story :)

Return to “The Gallery”