For the Lady and the King!! - NO LONGER. FOR KHEMRI!

To mark the launch of WFB8, a few of us are starting new armies, starting at 750 points and then growing in 250 point blocks.
Forum rules
Be excellent to each other
Simon B
Grownup Muppet

For the Lady and the King!! - NO LONGER. FOR KHEMRI!

Post by Simon B » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Well seeing as there seems to be a lot of evil do'ers on here, I think the forces of good need some help, so I think I'm going to finally use this as my excuse to get my Bretonnian army off the ground after having lots of odd units for years.

Hopefully Ill be able to get an army list together and show off some of my first units soon, but until then all I can say is:

Charge!!
Simon - The Teacher Muppet
For the Emperor!!

Chilledenuff

Re: For the Lady and the King!!

Post by Chilledenuff » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:54 pm

cool, might be a struggle to write a competative 750 list as you need a bsb and a general. However i think 8th should be good for brets in general. Damsel can fire magic missiles from second rank? yes please.. hordes of men at arms, nice
Smile! It's not that bad!
'05: Pixie Jam Trophy winner
'07: A Small Matter of Honour Runner Up
'11: Bruce McGrath Award
'12: Bruce McGrath Award
'14: Pixie Jam Trophy Winner
'15: Bruce McGrath Award
1974-Present: Awful dice rolls

daniel_cave00
The muppet with many names

Post by daniel_cave00 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:06 pm

Yet another soul is claimed by the irresistible juggernaut which is Fantasy. Here I was thinking that it might be difficult to persuade people to join up, boy was I wrong!

Glad to have you aboard Simon. Its nice to have some wondering Brets to beat up, though the Boarder Princes are a fair way from Brettonia, methinks there is a grail hunt in the region.

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:57 pm

I flirted with Bretonnia (not the Damsel) late last year and went so far as to buy the boxed set, but jumped ship to Empire when - looking more closely at the army book - I realised that the army comp rules made The Chivalrous Ones really hard to bring any variety to.

But now there's more freedom I think it makes them much more compelling again - and probably a huge amount of fun to paint with all those pennants, flags and other bits and pieces...
-- Dutch --

Simon B
Grownup Muppet

Post by Simon B » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Well I think its about time I posted on how things are going.

After my double crushing of the rising undead (21 knights on the charge was devastating, especially against zombies) I have finally sorted out what I hope is a workable army list.

Lord
Paladin
2 Damsels (1 mounted)
7 Knights of the realm
8 Knights of the realm
9 Knights of the Realm
9 Knights Errant
14 Bowmen
20 Men at Arms
6 Grail Knights

I know this is quite a small army for 2000 points, but hopefully with combined units charging, I think I should be able to break almost any unit on the charge and hopefully use the men at arms to hold my own board edge on the defense. The only problem I can see is that if I am charged, it is going to hurt big time!

Hopefully I can get a pic of my Lord - Simon de-Winchester (I know what an ego) up on here this eve.
For the Emperor!!

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Heh, I started reading that list with the assumption that it was the 750-point starter list. But the time I got to the bit where you stated it was 2000 points I was actually getting very worried indeed...

One thing I'd point out, when it comes to charging - be wary when going up againt high initiative armies, like Skaven. As the charging army no longer necessarily gets to attack first, even a big charge with lots of lances may be thinned out somewhat by a heavily-armed receiving unit that's got a decent "I" number...
-- Dutch --

Simon B
Grownup Muppet

Post by Simon B » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Well I thought I should put some fluff in about my NON "french" Bretonnians! Who says you need to do work when your at work?

The Earldom of the de-Winchester Family

The Earldom of the de-Winchester family is the oldest in Bastonne and is amongst the oldest in the whole kingdom having been created before the time of Giles the Uniter by the ‘king’ of Bastonne as a reward for the services of the knight who served as the kings Champion. However unlike most of the families in the Dukedom who have since those times followed the heraldry of Giles and taken the Dragon as their emblem, the de-Winchester family have always maintained their traditional emblem of the lion, a sign of their strength and loyalty to the Duke.

Over the years the Earldom has become more influential in power and size and has gradually become the largest individual estate in the Dukedom. It current covers nearly a quarter of the Dukedom with all the peoples coming under the Earls authority before ultimately the Dukes. The power held by the family has on occasions meant that when a Duke has died with no male heir of age, the Earl de-Winchester has become regent of the Dukedom with no struggles for power as would been seen in other dukedoms. Although having so much power in one man seems like a potential trouble spot, this is not the case as the traditions and loyalties of the family run very deep and they are very strict in their beliefs that it should be a descendent of Giles who rules the dukedom and none other.

The Lands of the Earldom are, for the most part, flat with good ground for the Noble’s Warhorse’s and the peasant farmers. The only two notable exceptions to this are in the South and North East. In the South lies the Forest of Chalons, which unfortunately is the home to tribes of Orcs, Goblins, Beastmen and rumour has it a few larger monsters. This does have an advantage though in that there is always a steady flow of Knights Errant and Questing Knights passing through the Earldom. In the North East of the Earldom lies rolling hills and heavy woodland near to the river Grismerie. In this wood is the small ruined Chapel known as the ‘Chapel of the Ladies Grace’ which is said to date from the earliest days of the kingdom.

There is also a second Chapel dedicated to the lady within the boarders of the Earldom, which is known as the ‘Chapel of her Ladies Tears’ which is found within half a days ride of the Earl’s Castle. It is a place of pilgrimage for many knights as the statue of the Lady is said to weep tears in times of great peril for the dukedom, hence the Chapels name. The Chapel is cared for by a group of Grail Maidens who have given their lives to serve the Lady and protected by a Holy Grail Knight sworn to defend it from all foes or dies in the attempt.

The Roll of Honour of the Earldom de-Winchester

The Earl Simon de-Winchester
The Earl Simon de-Winchester left on his Grail Quest soon after his elevation to Knight of the Realm and after many years of hardship succeeded in finding the Grail and returned home soon after the old Earl’s death. Despite now being a Grail Knight, he felt it right that he should take charge of his families estates and not let his brother (who had been ruling as regent) become the Earl. As the Earldom included two sites sacred to the Lady he believed that it was his purpose in life to protect these two sites along with any pilgrims who came to visit them.

Lord James de-Winchester
Lord James is the second son of Earl Simon de-Winchester and the one who most takes after his father. He hopes that one day he will be able to relinquish his responsibilities to his youngest brother and take up the Grail Quest as his father and older brother did. As his Older brother has now fully abdicated his claim to the Earldom, Lord James is now his fathers heir and is keen to assist in running the estates.

Baron Kevin de-Winchester
The Earl’s younger brother and defender of the Northern Edges of the Earldom. He would have become Earl after his father’s death, and was ruling as such, but with the return of his older brother he was made Baron of the Northern Marches.

Lord Peter de-Winchester
Eldest son of Baron Kevin de-Winchester and bearer of his Standard. He takes his duties very seriously and is often out patrolling the boarders of the Earldom in his fathers stead. Seen by many as a great champion of the people, many would not be surprised to see him defending area’s where other knights would deem it beneath them to go.

Knight Errant Sir Nicholas de-Winchester
The youngest son of Earl Simon de-Winchester who dreams of earning the honour, glory and renown of his father. However he knows that once he has completed his Errantry he will have to take up his elder brother James’ responsibilities before he cane pursue his own Grail Quest.

Knight Errant Sir Henry de-Winchester
Youngest son of Baron Kevin de-Winchester

Baron Oliver de-Winchester of the Grail
The eldest son of Earl Simon de-Winchester. Once he had completed his quest for the Grail he chose not follow his father and become the Earl, but instead devoted himself and his life to protect the ruined Chapel of ‘The Ladies Grace’ and the sacred wood that grew around it in the hills above the Earls Estates.

Baron Louis Castellan
Childhood friend of the Earl and his most trusted vassal. He was given the title of Baron in recognition of his years of dedication to the Earl as Captain of his Castle Guard and awarded the lands at the northern edges of the Earldom. He retains his title of Captain of the Guard, but also now has the title of Guardian of the Mountain Passes as well. His family is originally from Parravon as can be seen in his Heraldry.

Knight Errant Sir Christopher Castellan
Youngest son of Baron Louis Castellan and long time friend to Knight Errant Sir Nicholas de-Winchester. Sir Nicholas has trust his friend to bare his standard and Sir Christopher would rather die then let his friend down and lose his honour.

Count Baldred Hampshire
Count Baldred Hampshire’s family was given the unusual title of Count by the Duke of Bastonne and the Elector Count of Reikland, in the Empire, for his assistance of an Empire army to help it fight off a Skaven horde that erupted in the boarder regions between Bretonnia and The Empire and threatened to destroy both. His family has since worked the colours and Heraldry of the Reikland into their own in recognition of the tie between them.

Sir Lucias Hampshire
Eldest son of Count Baldred Hampshire and bearer of his family Standard. Has recently returned from a two year trip to Altdorf where he has spent time renewing the pledges of friendship his family have with the Empire and training with the famed Reiksguard.

Knights sworn to the service of Earl Simon de-Winchester
Sir Roland Villiers
Sir Matthew Alric
Sir George Percival
Sir Arthur Sangasse
Sir Markus Lothgar

Sir Nigel Gregory
Sir Philip de-Anjous
Sir John Philips
Sir Michael James
Sir Sirius Norfolk
Sir Norman Sufolk

Sir James Stevens
Sir Lancelot Du’Lac
Sir Leopold Du’Lac
Sir Richard Tancred
Sir Stephen Mordred
Sir Francis Bacon
Sir Henri Borboun
Sir Stuart Moore

Knight Errant Frederick Sangasse
Knight Errant Tassilo de-Anjous
Knight Errant Stuart Norfolk
Knight Errant Marloc Suffolk
Knight Errant Arther Villiers
Knight Errant Robbert Moore

Servants and Knights of the Grail

Damsel Eleanor
Damsel Eleanor was taken by the Fay Enchantress as a child to learn to control her other worldly powers and she spent many years training to master her abilities. One day she was out riding when she came upon a noble questing knight fighting a herd of Beastmen single headedly. She was so impressed with his feat of arms she accompanied him until he found the Grail and once they returned to his ancestral home they were married by the Fay Enchantress herself.

Damsel Victoria
The youngest child and only daughter of Earl Simon and Damsel Eleanor de-Winchester, the Damsel Victoria is unusual as she was not taken by the Fay Enchantress as a child, but allowed to remain with her parents as long as her mother taught and cared for her according to the plans of the Lady. Now that she is fully grown in both years and magical ability she regularly accompanies her father and brother to the field of battle where she uses her powers to protect and care for them.

Lord Reolus Sussex of the Grail
Lord Reolus Sussex swore and oath to defend the Damsel Victoria on the day of her birth and in the 25 years since has never been beaten in combat nor allowed any harm to come to his charge.

Sir Henry Folcard of the Grail
Sir Henry Folcard fought for the Earls father and upon his death set out upon his own Grail Quest. Now he has succeed he helps to defend the land he has served for so long.

Sir Edward Williams of the Grail
Sir Edward Williams is famed through-out Bretonnia as a travelling warrior and learned scholar

Lord Orlando Wessex of the Grail
Lord Orlando Wessex resides on the edges of the Earldom at the Chapel of ‘Her Ladies Tears’ which he has sworn to defend it from all foes or dies in the attempt.

Sir Calard Abbott of the Grail
Sir Calard Abbott met the Earl whilst they were both on their separate Grail Quests and they instantly liked and respected each other. He came to live with Earl as his advisor and Personal Champion

Peasants

20 Men at Arms sworn to Earl Simon de-Winchester.
14 Men at Arms sworn to Baron Louis Castellan.
For the Emperor!!

phil
Ancient Muppet

Post by phil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:31 am

Wow - that's an impressive roll call. I look forward to finding out more about some of these characters as the months progress :-)
-- Dutch --

daniel_cave00

Post by daniel_cave00 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:50 am

The only thing I am confused about is "and after many years of hardship succeeded in finding the Grail ". Is that like a philosophical discovery? I thought they were still searching for it.

Apart from that very detailed hereldry there, now you have to go ahead and tell us what they are doing in Briane L'Allend messing with my nefarious schemes with their 2+ armour, lances and <mutter mutter mutter> (rambles on about the injustice of defeat or something like that...)

...and another thing, work definitely isnt for working! How else would I ever dream up and write fluff if it wasnt for the flexibility of "work" ;)

2011 - Mavis
2010 - Randolph
2009 - Sally
2008 - Ben

Migraines suck!!!

Simon B
Grownup Muppet

Post by Simon B » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:02 pm

No loads of Knights have found it over the years - that's why they are called Grail Knights! They don't get to keep it though, just drink from it which is what gives them their powers.

As for messing with your nefarious schemes surely that is all the reason I need to be in Briane L'Allend? Half the point of being a knight is to defend the weak and uphold the law.
For the Emperor!!

Return to “A tale of Muppet gamers 2010”